How to Write a Love Letter to Your Dream House
So you’ve found your dream home and you’re ready to make an offer. Looking for a way to stand out amongst a sea of buyers? Write a love letter (aka: purchase letter) about why you are enamored with the house and include it with your offer! You may just pull at their heartstrings enough to have the sellers choose you! Here’s how to do it:
- Compliment Sincerely. Start the letter with compliments. Let the seller know what you love about the house, flatter them by including details of the home that you love, things that you noticed that stood out to you while you toured it and what you love about the area. Be generous with the compliments, but do it sincerely.
- Describe What Your Life Would Look Like In the House. When you envision your life in the home, what does it look like? Tell the sellers if this is where you plan to start a family, where you will host your entire family for holidays, where you will relax in retirement, etc. Paint a picture that allows them to see another family loving their home as much as they did.
- Don’t Mention Anything You Will Change. Even if you plan on remodeling, or making any changes (no matter how small), don’t mention it. Sellers want to know that you fell in love with their home just the way it is. Flatter them by keeping any changes to yourself (for the purpose of this letter at least)!
- Keep it Positive. Sellers don’t want to feel guilted into accepting an offer. Keep the tone of your letter feeling positive, upbeat and happy!
- Sign off in the Right Way. Remember, this isn’t a business letter. Use phrases like “We can’t wait to hear from you!” or “Thank you so much for the opportunity!” when closing out your letter. Signatures like “Sincerely”, “Yours Truly” or “Best Regards” feel too sterile and impersonal.
And most importantly! Don’t forget to spell check and reread. Want some more of our best tips for getting your dream home? Contact us and let’s work together to get you in your new place!