Fall Home Safety Tips
Now that we are officially in Fall, there are things that need to be done in and around your home this time of year to help keep your family safe.
- Winterize your pool. Secure the safety cover and store chemicals properly (outside in a bin or shed is okay as long as the chemicals remain free of moisture).
- Thoroughly clean your lawnmower by removing gas and oil. Hose down the underside to remove any clippings.
- This is a great time to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working properly!
- Have a professional clean and inspect your fireplace to make sure it is in safe, working condition before you are ready to use it when the weather gets cold.
- Disconnect your garden hoses and turn off your sprinkler system. Ensure that the water is drained out of the hose and store it inside to prevent freezing.
- Practice your family fire escape plan before the weather gets cold! Don’t have one yet? Learn how to make one here.
- Have your furnace inspected (preferably by a professional!) before winter sets in. Make sure that there is nothing near your unit that is flammable.
- Clean leaves out of your gutters regularly.
- Trim your trees to get rid of dead branches or decaying limbs before snow and ice arrives to weigh them down.
- Rake dry leaves away from outdoor lighting, outlets and power cords.
We care about you and your family’s safety!